HEALTHY FAMILIES ROCKLAND COUNTY (HFRC) Dual Role Home Visitor Family Support Specialist/Family Resource Specialist (Full-time position)
Working together with its partners The Lower Hudson Valley Perinatal Network (LHVPN) advocates for and educates consumers and professionals about maternal, child and family health. LHVPN also mobilizes the community, to eliminate disparities, and improve the health of women, children and families in New York’s Lower Hudson Valley, which includes Rockland, Westchester, Dutchess & Putnam counties.
Reports to: Healthy Families Rockland County Program Supervisor
Languages Preferred: English/Spanish, or English/Haitian Creole, or English/ Yiddish
The Healthy Families Rockland County dual role Family Support Specialist (FSS) and Family Resource Specialist (FRS) supports expectant and new parents to get off to a great start on their parenting journey. This is achieved by conducting ongoing outreach, conducting regular assessments, engaging high-risk families through regular home visits, providing support to promote positive parent-child interaction and family/child health & development; and assisting families with goal planning to enhance family functioning, while making referrals, advocacy, follow-up and overall service coordination with other providers. The position also requires working with a team to coordinate program activities to address family isolation.
Duties’ and Responsibilities:
- The Home Visitor (HV) will be trained to conduct community outreach and assessments.
- The HV is expected to conduct regular ongoing home visits to families living in Rockland
- HV is responsible for collecting referrals from all community partners. Maintain an updated list of resources for families.
- The HV is responsible for all documentation that is involved when completing an assessment (Parent Survey, narrative, Pre-assessment forms, etc.).
- The HV is also responsible for maintaining a caseload of up to 20 families.
- The HV will be trained to use the Growing Great Kids curriculum as well as other required trainings that will the team in meeting training standards.
- The HV will conduct home visits on a regular basis following the prescribed leveling system provided by the program’s policies and procedures.
- HV is responsible for all documentation that is involved when complete home visits (Pre- Intake, Intake, Home Logs, Service Plans, Family Goal Planning, etc).
- The HV will conduct QA reviews to participant’s files to ensure all documentation adheres to Healthy Families America (HFA) and Healthy Families New York (HFNY) standards.
- The HV will meet with the supervisor once per week for a minimum of 2 hours for “regularly scheduled and protected.
- HV will assist with planning and executing programmatic group events that help the program meet HFA/HFNY Best Practice Standards.
- HV is responsible to complete all trainings for the Dual home visiting roles.
- HV will attend team meeting, trainings, and conferences within New York State.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Organizational expectations include:
- Regular and punctual time and attendance, and adherence to Children’s Health & Research Foundation, Inc./Lower Hudson Valley Perinatal Network (CHRF/LHVPN) and your department’s specific time and attendance policies and protocol.
- Consistent demonstrated commitment to CHRF/LHVPN, mission, vision and values and of the Healthy Families New York Model.
- Adherence to CHRF/LHVPN employee policies, Code of Conduct and applicable rules, laws, regulations or bargaining agreements.
- Appropriate engagement with support departments to ensure appropriate and timely hiring, performance management, investigation, discipline, suspension, and restructuring decisions concerning direct reports. Regular supervision and performance evaluation of direct reports.
- Any other duties and/or tasks that may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
High School diploma/GED with experience working with, or assisting, high/at-risk children and families in a community setting. Some experience working with or providing services to children and families preferred;
OR Associates degree or higher with some experience providing services with children preferred or experience in the Human Service field.
- Ability to establish trusting relationships and work effectively with mothers, fathers, and extended family.
- Belief that children need to be nurtured.
- Highly effective verbal, listening, presentation and written communication skills. Must be comfortable in speaking to both large and small groups of consumers, health and human service providers, educators, and business leaders.
- Ability to effectively network and engage with core local organizations and community groups.
- Respect for and sensitivity to the needs and rights of others, including those with differing cultural, racial, sexual, or ethnic identities.
- Commitment to achieving health equity and overcoming health disparities.
- Self-motivated with an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to operate computerized spreadsheet, word-processing, and databases.
Other Conditions of Employment
- A valid driver’s license and reliable personal transportation is necessary to fulfill job requirements.
- Flexibility in travel in and out of Rockland County.
- Must have schedule flexibility to include occasional early morning, evening and weekend meetings/activities.
- State travel may be required for training and state meetings with overnight stay.
- Ability to meet the following physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Walk, bend, kneel, and reach;
- Lift 20 – 30 pounds;
- Conduct both outdoor and indoor activities, in both warm and cold temperatures.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirement to: Troy Calhoun, Program Coordinator, LHVPN Healthy Families Rockland County, firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “HFRC Dual Role Home Visitor” – your name” in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled.